Heaven and Earth
Southey's Paper Mill
Southey’s Paper Mill is another fixture crucial to the town’s economy. The mill is the largest employer in the area and manufactures paper products for hygienic consumption (such as toilet paper, paper towels, and napkins). The mill borders the lake, directly across from St. Anselm College. Mill Road runs east to west, from the lake to the highway, and separates the two institutions.
The mill opened in 1902 under the helm of Robert Southey. Since then, it has been passed down through the generations. Robert Jr. took it from his father, Robert III from him, and the current proprietor is Robert IV. Robert III turned it into a hugely successful operation in the 60’s by concentrating solely on disposable paper products at a time when such things were coming into vogue. Robert IV, “Bob” to most people, was wise enough to see the coming ecological backlash of the 00’s and took steps to make Southey’s an environmentally friendly mill by 1999. He also recycled paper long before many of his competitors. In short, both he and his father are shrewd businessmen who have kept the mill open through ingenuity and anticipation of a changing market. Both men are revered as local heroes.